Sunday, June 28, 2009

Not So Penangite-ish

True from the heart confessions of a Penangite who hardly qualifies to be a Penangite....*sigh* yea, sad isn't it? hehehe....

Ok, why I said so, reasons as follows...

1) No Laksa For Me Please!

One of the dish that Penang is actually famous for, and of all things, I don't like eating it at all. Only tried maybe like...1-2 times? Not liking it at all... *no offence* It smells good, just I don't really like the taste...nor the noodle...hmm...

2) Lorongs? What Lorongs? (short-cuts)

I haven't truly ventured around & within the island with much success. Not even familiar with much roads, the IN and OUT, LEFTs or RIGHTs, UP and ABOUT...hehehe. Plus with my lousy sense of direction, it doesn't help much. I even almost got lost and almost ended up crossing the bridge out of the island...hahaha. (But that happened long time ago after I got my drivers license lah...)

3) Durians!! *stinky breath*

I've stopped eating durians at a very young age. All thanks to my brother who teasingly introduced me to some creepy crawlers in one of the durians when we were opening and extracting em out. Well, besides that, there's also the issue of smelly breath, the heatiness, soon-to-get-sore throats, etc.

4) No Chilly Padi, But Spicy Curry Please?

Ok, well, not too spicy curry. But I do like and prefer eating some "spices" dishes as compared to eating chillies or chilly padi. Some friends actually said that spices are even more spicy than chillies, and wondered how I can eat those stuffs but not chillies. Maybe because chillies are fresh & juicy so it stings more, while spices are dried stuffs ?

5) Outdated With Places

Don't even know whether some places still exist or changed name. The new hang out places are definately out of my league. Not sure where's where & the how to's to get around. Roads become one way, or newly developed roads. Where to get the best deals & stuffs. (mostly relying on newspaper adverts & "reliable" sources...hahaha)

On top of it, I don't know where to even get "the best" of stuffs, especially where foods are concern. Like where to get the best "keow teow t'ng", "char kueh teow", "ban cheng kueh", etc. Most of the time, I just follow around, or frequent the regular places nearby

Well, apart from all the above mentions, I do still know or at least like some things that are Penang-ish.

I definately like "Hokkien Mee". Especially if the soup cooked is really tasty and good. guaranteed clean bowl. I like nyonya made kueh's, ah pom (thin sort of pancake), chee cheong chok (porridge), chee cheong fun, etc...(if only I can remember all of it)

2 comments:

pilocarpine said...

OMG!! R u serious?!?!
I have same 1 to 5 like you...
i hate, rojak, laksa n durian..
and rather outdate with road and places...
but then again... i'm in KL and SP mostly...

Renee said...

ehehe...very true & serious. I have been away from Penang for some 10 yrs. Even if I do come back for visits, I stay at home. =P

What I Do & Like Doing & Likes...

(1) Teaching Kids (2) Volunteering (3) Crochet Flowers (4) Arts & Crafts (5) Virtual Farming/Cafe (6) Swimming (7) Singing (8) Salmon Sushi (9) J-Co Donuts (10) Pasta (11) Watermelon (12) Beach